Sunday, 13 October 2013

Broadsands Beach

One thing about being a dog walker and living by the sea is that the dogs on the beach ban arranges your walkies calendar for you. There is no sadder day than 1st May and no happier day than the 1st October (in terms of dog walking that is) for us all.



Now our weekends, tides permitting, will be filled with lovely visits to our local beaches and a meet up with all the doggies and their owners that we have not seen for the last five months.



The car and house will be filled with sandy boots, towels and dog beds for the next seven months and Christmas Day morning will be spent on the beach too.


Today the weather was still and fairly mild, and the terrible rain forecast for the south has yet to arrive. So with the low tide on our side we went off to Broadsands Beach for our walk. The sand is quite red due to our very red soil here. Next to the beach are fields usually populated with cattle and often with pheasants too.



Broadsands Beach is situated just outside Brixham on the way to Paignton. It's a lovely curved sandy beach with rock pools at one end and the promenade above.




Brand new beach huts have just been installed and unusually they are pastel in colour, I think I prefer the much brighter colours. However behind the beach huts are woods, fields, a park and mini golf course, so maybe they wanted them to blend in rather than shout out.


More houses on the edge! I would be seriously worried about landslip living here. The only reason the cliffs have been maintained so far, is due to the steam railway which runs along this stretch just below the houses and just above the cliffs.


The beach is always full of birds of all kinds. This morning the crows were enjoying a seafood breakfast


.........and the gulls were taking a bath


As well as birds and dogs we had a horse and rider galloping along the beach. I spoke to the rider as her horse was a real beauty and not at all afraid of dogs (as some very silly owners could not control their dogs around horses and seemed incapable of attaching a lead). This horse is an ex-racer and was beautiful to watch and hear.


Looking for breakfast and bobbing about on the gentle waves


Colourful seaweed


Hookhills Viaduct designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

It's a beautiful sight to see the steam trains crossing the viaduct. I can hear the toot toot of the trains in my back garden.



The road to Broadsands Beach goes under this viaduct and I love passing under it, thinking about the genius who designed it


Oh well as I type the rain has started and the temperature has dropped from a very reasonable 15 degrees to 11 degrees. However we have a lovely dinner to look forward to and are all dry and rested, so no need to go out again.

Work takes me to London next week. I never look forward to it. After living in this lovely little fishing town of about 17,000 people and surrounded by sea and fresh air, I can't cope with all the people, smells and pollution. I shall come back tired and weary, but oh so glad to be home.


Hello to new follower Tony, welcome aboard.

Hope you all have a good week ahead, until next time.
SeagullSuzie

22 comments:

  1. I love that part of the world!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I hope you get to visit some time. There are some great creative people down here and more and more shops and stalls, so I'm sure you'd love it.

      Delete
  2. I like visiting London for a day but always want a bath when I get home!

    Lovely pictures of the sea- I do envy you living so close to it. I'll bet it was lovely walking along the beach without lots of tourists being there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT so good to be back home-just trying to catch up now! Still a few tourists about but it's getting quieter all the time. I missed some great shots the day before of people kite surfing at Broadsands. It was so windy though, I would have had a job holding the camera still.

      Delete
  3. A lovely wander around the beach and I love all the photos, especially of the waves. I can just imagine the fun there after 1st October - my dog Harry adores a run on a large, sandy beach. I usually don't like any noise of machines/engines etc but I think I could happily live with the distant sound and sight of a steam train.
    Hope London isn't too awful. I caught up with a friend of mine last week who lives near Lands End and who had come up to London for work - he hadn't slept well at all because of all the noise there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, glad you liked the photos. We have some events down here that have dog fun days on the beaches on the last day the dogs are allowed and the first day back on the beaches. The train is lovely and very scenic if you're ever down this way. I once had to go to Newcastle with work for a few days and since it's known for it's crazy night life, all I heard were screams and shouts from the partygoers. At least the London hotels make an effort to sound proof a bit more.

      Delete
  4. London fills me with dread too now. Wonderful pictures as ever. How brilliant to gallop along the beach like that - the only time I ever did that was in Portugal, near Lisbon in 1983. There's a picture of me somewhere.....I must try and dig it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh look forward to that picture Em. I can just about cope with Exeter, and Bath was lovely too, but any big cities fill me with horror.

      Delete
  5. Hello, just found your blog, and I wanted to say how beautiful your photographs are. Truly stunning. Looking forward to seeing more! I saw your note on replying to comments, I do this by going to the post, hitting reply and typing a message to reply to each comment individually, but I don't think that it matters how you do it, although it is nice to know that your comments have been read by getting a reply from the blogger - no pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amy, many thanks for taking a look at the blog, glad to hear you like it. Still have plenty more photos to take and places to visit.

      Delete
  6. I am the same about London... I do love London, but I don't like being away from our big Norfolk skies, proper darkness and fresh air for too long. Those beach huts are rather stylish, but I prefer the gaudier ones. At least this post will provide you with great pictures of what you will be able to go back to after your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London has a lot going for it that's for sure, but once we left the big cities we got used to smaller towns very quickly and just could not imagine having to go back to live in one. I'd love to do a beach hut shed in my garden.

      Delete
  7. How wonderful, I love Broadsands Beach! I can fully understand how you feel about the London trip, I felt it after just 10 days away in Wales. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broadsands is very pretty and great if the tide is in as the park is right next to it. What I love most is the birdsong. Walking along the beach listening to all sorts of birds. Elberry cove is just a few minutes walk across the park and we have been swimming in the sea whilst watching buzzards flying above-just magical.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos and such a lovely walk - thank you so much for sharing. You are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful place and so close to the sea :)

    I do hope trip to London isn't too awful and time passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recovered from London trip, just catching up now, so sorry to everyone for the late responses.
      So many more places to visit and I still haven't taken you all on a walk to Sharkham Point! Trouble is I'll have to brush up on my landscape photos.

      Delete
  9. I know exactly what you mean when the 1st October arrives! We were back on Weymouth beach during the first week of October! Your photos are amazing and Broadsands looks a great beach to visit. I always feel over whelmed when visiting London. There is too much choice and too many people!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I did see some great photo opportunities but didn't have my camera-far too much to carry already. It's lovely for us all to be allowed back on the beaches I'm sure the dogs enjoy it almost as much as we humans!

      Delete
  10. Winters beach walks are the best! Love the seaweed photo, such brilliant colours! I have some beach photos from a week or two ago which I must post soon.

    I too dislike the hustle and bustle of London. I enjoy visiting my friends who live there and going for dinner, but am always happy to get home into the fresh countryside air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seaweed photo is unedited, it was just how it came out, thanks Lou. We didn't get up as far as the rock pools as there was a group of large dogs with just 2 owners. I always feel a bit uneasy about that.
      Miss the sound of the seagulls too.

      Delete
  11. Great blog, thanks for bringing us along on your wonderful walk. Not being a dog owner and not living by the sea, I had no idea there can be bans to dogs on beaches for such a long time. I doubt this applies up her at St Andrews and that area as we always see dog walking and Frisbee catching there.

    What a beautiful spot you have here – I always admire those viaducts too. What a marvel of construction they are. Yep… I don’t fancy living near that cliff either.

    Wishing you a great weekend – you’ll be glad to get back home. Thanks for your visits to my blog. I hope to be blogging more regularly soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley, I found your blog whilst looking for info on hedgehogs and it was very useful, so thanks. Yes the dog ban is a real disappointment to us responsible dog owners, but I can see why they use it and it means that for 5 months we go off exploring other lovely places to walk instead.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.