Thursday, 26 January 2017

Gannets and Dolphins Short Videos


With no time to myself at the moment (major project to finish for work) I've been unable to get out with the camera or find any time to write a post.


The easterly winds have made the sea choppy, this brings birds in that would normally be further out to sea.

This morning during my dog walk, I met Mike Langman who was bird watching across the bay from Broadsands Green. 

I commented on the number of Gannets diving this morning and Mike advised that he had seen hundreds diving of Sharkham Point yesterday, had taken a short video and posted it on YouTube. 
Gannets Feeding Frenzy and you might also like this video of Common Dolphins passing by.

Northern Gannet fact: when diving they hit the water at speeds of up to 60mph


It was quite exciting receiving our beach hut renewal notice in the post this week. They'll soon be back on site.

Until next time
Take care all and Happy Big Garden Bird Watch for this weekend
SeagullSuzie

10 comments:

  1. I do love to see the sea when it is choppy and rough, though I doubt the birds enjoy it quite so much. The video of the diving Gannets was certainly quite a spectacle, and the speed with which they hit the water is breathtaking.

    Kindest regards and all the best for the Big Garden Bird Watch :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David, we regularly see Gannets diving, they are so white and glow brightly compared with the gulls, which makes them easy to spot. Weather is so wet here today, not seeing much in the garden.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Sarah. Mike is so dedicated and always happy to share his birding experiences, he feeds the Cirl Buntings at Broadsands all through the winter.

      Delete
  3. Happy beach hutting over the summer! Hope you big project is finished soon and you have more time for yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, will be glad to see the back of this project, it's driving me mad. Beach huts will be back on site by the end of March, although it wont be particularly warm, it's a time when everyone starts painting and repairing.

      Delete
  4. I'm so envious of your closeness to the sea. Wonderful to see the gannets x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CT, they are such beautiful birds and very easy to spot, but it takes a bit of choppy weather to bring the fish into the bay.

      Delete
  5. I'm so looking forward to the Garden Bird Watch! Feet up, cup of coffee, watching the birds.... perfect! I hope your project's going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, project is a real pain, but will soon be finished. Terribly wet weather here so I'm not sure the birds will be making much of an appearance-I might try later on.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.