Friday, 17 March 2017

Saw the Humpback Whale

Probably one of the most exciting wildlife moments of my life. I was sitting on the sofa on Sunday  afternoon (12th March) and saw a windsurfer out in the bay, however something else caught my eye.

I could see a mist of water being blown into the air, so I followed it and saw something very big moving in the water and splashing about.

Much too big to be a dolphin, no sign of those wretched noisy and annoying jet skiers, so I jumped up grabbed the binoculars, shouted to hubby and phoned the neighbours.

Sure enough it was the humpback whale which had come over from Slapton to have some fun and a feed in the bay.

Here is an article from the local newspaper with great photos and a video 

I tried very hard to get some images but only succeeded in getting a splash of water without the tail.

However here are some photos and images from others who were lucky enough to see it too and captured this very exciting event on film. Please copy this link into your browser to see a picture taken by those lucky owners at the Guardhouse Cafe up at Berry Head  pic.twitter.com/pdacjsSVby 

You can also read this very nice article from Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust about the whale.

Until next time
SeagullSuzie

21 comments:

  1. Wow! How FANTASTIC! And from the comfort of your own sofa too, I'm green with envy. Well done you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, I think it was one of those once in a lifetime moments...will probably never happen again!

      Delete
  2. Wow that must have been amazing noticing that from your sofa! I heard about it on Spotlight. What a shame you couldn't manage to capture it. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, it was so hard to get on camera as I was on full zoom, but most of all I wanted to enjoy seeing it properly.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! What a truly fabulous sight. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very lucky indeed, I could easily have missed it, if my feet hadn't been hurting so much (plantar faciitis) I wouldn't have been sitting on the sofa facing the sea, so would have missed it.

      Delete
  4. That must have been so very very exciting and a special moment :) I have never seen a whale although we did see dolphins on a boat trip in Scotland years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, never been anywhere where they are active, however like you we saw some dolphins in Scotland. Oh so exciting!

      Delete
  5. Quite a moment to see something like that Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Roy, apparently it's a juvenile male, so is expected to move up north soon, despite initial concerns it is healthy and people have been asked not to bother it.

      Delete
  6. We saw it by chance off Torquay one Sunday afternoon, water sprays and black shapes from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great Philip, I'm so glad you saw it.

      Delete
  7. How fabulous! I am very jealous, but extremely pleased that you got to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, it was a real treat and so unexpected.

      Delete
  8. How exciting for you all. Thanks for the links. Really enjoyed those and your post. Had no idea wales swam off those shores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, never been one in the bay as far as I know, so it was a really exciting time for everyone. Hopefully the whale is now swimming up north, where he should be at this time of year.

      Delete
  9. Oh you're so lucky to have seen it! We went to Berry head a few days ago but there wasn't any signs of whales, just a lot of porpoises jumping up and down in the water. How spoilt that sounds! Usually I would have had more enthusiasm for them. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, did you read that the whale was caught in fishing ropes just off Blackpool Sands? It was freed successfully so you may see it passing Berry Head. I think we take things in our stride now, in my old house Peregrines used to fly over and even landed on the fence posts-that was exciting!

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm glad to know that it was successfully freed from the fishing lines. I heard that is was caught up in them and that attempts were being made to free it - then heard no more. I hope it suffers no ill effects and steers clear of any trouble from now on.
      - Rosemary

      Delete
  10. How wonderful to see a Humpback Whale from the comfort of your own living room, I can only imagine how special that must have been. I expect you are still buzzing, I know I would be :-)

    Hope you are well and kindest regards to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, it was quite amazing. People are still sea watching in the hope it comes our way again-has certainly boosted tourism visits!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.