Friday, 11 August 2017

Visiting insects this summer

I took a tour around the garden with the macro lens and captured a few lovely insects visiting my wildlife friendly garden.


Hoverfly volucella zonaria, at 20mm in length it's our largest hoverfly. Also known as the Belted Hoverfly, it's more common in southern England (info courtesy of The Wildlife Trusts).


This insect has moved house with me a few times now, the marvellous looking Vapourer moth caterpillar above, male adult moth below. So long as you don't mind them eating your plants you can really enjoy them in your garden.


And here is one of the caterpillars making it's cocoon on the underside of a geranium leaf.


Some lovely visiting bees, I like the pale coloured pollen sac on this bee


I really wasn't sure what bee this was, but it's small and rather lovely. Is it a male Common Carder Bee?


Hoverflies on these yellow flowers by my front door


This spider carries it's eggs around, I'm not keen on spiders in my home but happy to have them in the garden. However I just can't look them up for ID purposes as close up's give me the creeps!


More hoverflies, this one is quite small and on a erigeron flower, I've noticed that this plant really attracts hoverflies.


A lovely bee with its yellow and orange colouring on lavender. I struggled to identify this one but is it a Bilberry Bumblebee?


Not in perfect focus! That's the trouble with the macro lens, the lavender is in focus in the photo below and the bee is a little fuzzy.


It had just started to rain and I caught two tiny raindrops on its head as it turned around (and in focus).


I don't know if you've seen this website but I found a citizen science project called Blooms for Bees which is all about surveying flowers to help improve gardening for bumblebees. It's really worth a visit with lots of information.

I hope you are all well
Until next time
SeagullSuzie 

18 comments:

  1. Brilliant macro photography, such lovely little insects. I am happy to be visiting again. Really enjoyed myself, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks for stopping by. I'm afraid I'm not a regular blogger at the moment, but trying to post when I can.

      Delete
  2. red tail drone bumblebee! and yes, a common carder. Those hornet hoverflies are magnificent beasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, many thanks for the ID's and that hornet hoverfly has been hanging about my back garden for ages, nice to know it's not a hornet and just a harmless hoverfly.

      Delete
  3. Super macro shots and a wonderful selection of insects visiting your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I just saw the hoverfly and thankfully the Nikon with macro lens still had some charge, then that got me snapping for an hour or so and I loved it.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos, bees on lavender are one of the sights and sounds of summer. Love the photo of the hoverflies on the yelow flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, I love lavender and the variety of bees that visit it. I'm planning on putting more in the back garden.

      Delete
  5. Superb macro shots Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. I always have the macro lens and camera ready and am always surprised by how much I love it once I get a bit of time to go out and get snapping!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing your lovely photos Suzie. Your macro is better than mine I think! I am a bit of a dunce with identifying insects, but slowly getting better. I have always aimed at planting a garden primarily for bees and insects and it seems to have worked. Their favourite is the Weeping Widow geranium and the garden HUMS in the spring when that is first in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I have to get my book out and pour over the pages trying to ID the insects, with my camera on my lap, it takes ages and no phone apps for me! Thanks for the tip about the geranium, I must get some.

      Delete
  7. Your macro lens produces such fantastic images. I too struggle to identify the insects in our garden. Hope all is well with you. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, yes trying to enjoy the weather when it's good. Thanks for your comments on the macro images, it's a great lens but I think it's the failing of the operator! Very hard to get these close ups in focus properly.

      Delete
  8. Always love stopping by your blog! Thanks for the share, always an awesome read. Keep up the posts!
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg, thanks for leaving a comment. Seem to have run out of time in 2017 to post very much, but these things happen to us all form time to time!

      Delete
  9. The pictures are just amazing...beautiful!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a comment. At the moment we've been told to look out for and report any sightings of the Asian Hornet which eat our native honey bees. So I might end up posting another set of close ups!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.